It’s not likely to happen, but the names of two American cardinals have been bandied about as “papabili,” or “popeable.” They are Cardinal Timothy Michael Dolan of New York, and Cardinal Sean Patrick O’Malley, OFM Cap, of Boston.
Here are the other members of America’s 11-member cardinal-elector team:
• Cardinal Justin F. Rigali, emeritus
• Cardinal Roger M. Mahony, emeritus
• Cardinal William J. Levada, emeritus
• Cardinal Francis E. George, Chicago
• Cardinal Edwin F. O’Brien, Rome
• Cardinal Donald W. Wuerl, Washington, D. C.
• Cardinal Raymond L. Burke, Rome
• Cardinal Daniel N. DiNardo, Galveston-Houston
• Cardinal James M. Harvey, Rome